Submit Documents

Documents you can use to verify your income include:

  • Copies of your most recent paystubs. If you think this income will change over the year, we also need an explanation in writing of the change;

Note: If you provide paystubs, they must be from consecutive pay periods. Provide (4) paystubs if you’re paid weekly; (2) if you’re paid bi-weekly or bi-monthly; and (1) if you’re paid monthly.

  • A copy of your most recent tax filing, if you don’t expect a change from last year’s income;

Note: If you pay lower monthly premiums for a private health insurance plan on DC Health Link, you must submit a copy of your most recent tax return, including all forms and schedules. If you expect this year’s income to be the same as the income on your most recent tax return, we only need the tax return. If you expect this year’s income to be different than what is on your most recent tax return, we also need documents showing the income you expect to earn this year.

  • If you’re employed but don’t receive pay stubs, you will need to provide a letter from your employer on letterhead. If you can’t provide a letter from your employer, a copy of the form of payment, such as a check, may be acceptable;
  • A termination letter from your former employer, if you recently became unemployed and don’t receive unemployment insurance;
  • A severance letter, if your former employer provided you a severance package upon separation;
  • Award letters, such as:
    • Unemployment Compensation
    • Civil Service Retirement Compensation
    • Social Security
    • Railroad Retirement Benefits
  • Documentation of any other income;
    • Example: For interest, dividends, or annuities, provide documentation from the institution where you have these accounts/resources.
    • Example: If a family member or friend gives you money regularly to help you pay your expenses, provide a letter from that person and include their contact information.
  • If you have no income, a signed and dated letter from you saying you don't have income;
  • Documentation of any adjustments to income that you intend to take on your federal tax return.
    • Examples: Alimony payments, self-employed health insurance payments, health savings account deductions, and moving expenses.

There are 3 ways for you to submit the documents we need to make a final decision on your eligibility:


Login to your account at You can upload scanned copies of the documents directly to your account.

By US Mail

Department of Human Services
Economic Security Administration
Case Record Management Unit
P.O. Box 91560
Washington, DC 20090

All other applications
DC Health Link
Exchange Contact Center
1225 Eye St NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005

Be sure to write your DC Health Link ID on each of the documents.

In Person

Bring the document(s) to any Economic Security Administration Office for help. Find a location near you.

Which documents do I need to submit?

We need documents for each person listed in the notice you received. Please scan or make a copy of the document you send to us. Do not give us the original.

Still have questions?

Call DC Health Link at (855) 532-5465.