Submit Documents

You can provide any formal documentation from a federally recognized Tribe, Indian Health Services, or the Bureau of Indian Affairs that verifies American Indian or Alaskan Native status. Examples of such verifications include, but are not limited to the following:

  • A document issued by a federally recognized American Indian/Alaska Native Tribe, such as an enrollment or membership card, a Tribal passport, a Tribal census document, or a document issued by a Tribe indicating the person’s affiliation with the Tribe;
  • A document issued by the Indian Health Services indicating that the person is eligible for Indian Health Services as an American Indian or Alaska Native; or
  • A document obtained from the Bureau of Indian Affairs recognizing the person as an American Indian or Alaska Native.

For American Indians or Alaska Natives born outside of the United States, we will accept the following documents:

  • A Form I-94 with a notation of “S1-3”;
  • I-551 permanent resident card stamped “S1-3”;
  • Temporary I-551 stamp coded “S1-3” in a Canadian passport;
  • A Tribal record or document certifying at least 50 percent American Indian or Alaska Native blood, as required by Section 289 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA); and satisfactory evidence of birth in Canada, such as a birth certificate or baptismal certificate issued on a reservation; a letter from the Canadian Department of Indigenous and Northern Affairs; or school records.

There are 3 ways for you to submit the documents we need to make a final decision on your eligibility:


Login to your account at You can upload scanned copies of the documents directly to your account.

By US Mail

Department of Human Services
Economic Security Administration
Case Record Management Unit
P.O. Box 91560
Washington, DC 20090

All other applications
DC Health Link
Exchange Contact Center
1225 Eye St NW
Suite 400
Washington, DC 20005

Be sure to write your DC Health Link ID on each of the documents.

In Person

Bring the document(s) to any Economic Security Administration Office for help. Find a location near you.

Which documents do I need to submit?

We need documents for each person listed in the notice you received. Please scan or make a copy of the document you send to us. Do not give us the original.

Still have questions?

Call DC Health Link at (855) 532-5465.