The DC Health Benefit Exchange Authority today released new data covering the period of October 1-21 regarding activity at DCHealthLink.com, the District of Columbia’s new on-line health insurance marketplace for individuals, families, and small businesses. The data indicate strong interest in shopping, comparing, and choosing quality, affordable health insurance.
Residents have until December 15, 2013, to request an invoice and pay their first month’s premium in order to have benefits effective January 1, 2014, and open enrollment will continue through March 31, 2014. Small business owners can choose to purchase coverage and enroll their employees through DCHealthLink.com at any time. Those who do so by December 12, 2013, will have effective coverage on January 1, 2014.
- A total of 12,294 individual accounts have been created on DCHealthLink.com. A secure, personal account allows people to review plan options and prices. There are 34 health insurance options for individuals and families.
- A total of 426 small businesses have also created secure accounts allowing them to review coverage options for themselves and their employees. Small businesses with 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees are eligible for coverage through DCHealthlink.com. There are 267 health insurance options for small businesses.
- More than 10,000 people are shopping for health insurance in the individual and family marketplace. The shopping tool allows people to review the 34 different health insurance policies and prices and to compare options side-by-side before choosing the one that best meets their needs and budgets.
- A total of 1,894 individuals and families have completed an on-line application required to purchase coverage on DCHealthLink.com. This includes 815 short form applications for coverage without premium reductions.
- 321 individuals and families have selected a health plan to enroll in on DCHealthLink.com.
- 164 individuals and families have already requested an invoice for their first month’s premium.